Welcome to the web site of RAGES (Rail Action
Group, East of Scotland).
Rail Action Group, East of Scotland (RAGES) was formally established at an inaugural meeting in Dunbar on 13th January 1999 and now has around 170 members.
The initial impetus for the formation of RAGES came from commuters’ dissatisfaction with GNER services between Edinburgh and Dunbar. At the inaugural meeting, however, many other issues were raised and the remit of RAGES was, therefore, widened to cover all railways in the south east of Scotland.
The Aims of RAGES are:
- To improve the rail service between Edinburgh, Dunbar and Berwick upon Tweed.
- To have East Linton and Reston stations re-opened for active use.
- To improve the level of service to North Berwick.
- To re-open the branch line from Longniddry to Haddington.
- To consider the implications with regard to car parking and bicycle storage at stations between Waverley and Berwick upon Tweed.
- To keep under scrutiny the standards of passenger facilities at stations between Waverley and Berwick, including North Berwick, and to draw the attention of the relevant bodies to shortcomings which arise.
- The group, being environmentally minded, will actively strive to encourage rail travel within its geographical area.
Get our Stations Back on Track! - RAGES new campaign
The local rail service from Edinburgh to Berwick, together with the re-opening of our two stations at Reston and East Linton, may not now happen until 2018, despite our being advised earlier that this could happen by December 2016. We are extremely disappointed by this, and concerned that our service and the new stations may not materialise, despite almost twenty years of RAGES’ campaigning.
We are asking our members to campaign with us by signing and returning
postcards to the Transport Minister, asking him to ensure that our local
service and our stations are Kept on Track.
For the cost of a stamp you can also help our campaign. By clicking on the image of the postcard alongside, you will download a similar form. Please sign and return one form to the Minister. Please do this as soon as possible.
With your help we WILL keep our stations on track!
We have also created a letter which you might like to use as a template to send to your local councillor, MSP or MP (or all three!), encouraging them to press for better rail services in your area. We have included the addresses for MSPs and MPs and select the area appropriate to you in the first paragraph. Download here.
RAGES is always looking for new members, especially from East Lothian